Sunday, May 22, 2011

PARENTS....

When I was younger, I didn't realize how lucky I was to have both a mom and dad who loved me very much.  I was under the assumption that all children had the life that I did....BOY was I wrong. Throughout my teenage years, of course I knew that some people didn't have a mom and dad but it wasn't until I began teaching that it really hit home. 

Here I was young, married, and starting my career.  I had just got married right before my first year teaching, so of course I realized how much my parents had really done for me. 

I will never forget my first field trip as a teacher, my mom had always went on my field trips when I was little and I always had what I needed.  We were getting ready to leave and go on our field trip so I was doing what I knew to do....put names on lunch, put names on drinks, count the number of kids, first aid kid ready, ice chest ready, etc.... Then, one child brought me her lunch and I was like WHAT'S THIS??? NEVER SAY THAT OUT LOUD...lol...It was a Wal-mart sack and as I opened it up this is what I found....a somewhat of a PB&J (or that is what she called it), half eaten apple, and a few pecans on top!!! I could have just sat there and cried, no one told me that a child would bring something like that for lunch! I didnt know to bring extra lunches for kids, that wasn't something we learned in school :) Thank goodness for Bro. Minton who was making a run to the store to get extra lunches.  I think about that day a lot!!

Now, I know that I have taken my parents for granted at times.....Sitting in the emergency room AGAIN Wednesday (this time for a kidney stone), of course my mom was right beside me and dad was in waiting room, I asked her: What do people do that don't have parents?? She just said "I don't know."  Being in the er twice in a month and a half made me realize that I don't know where I would be without my parents.  We got in about 5 that morning from the er, mom and dad both had to go to work.  I hope one day when I become a mommy, I am as important to my child as my parents are to me.  They are always there for me!!

Jon had to be at work at 4:30 and he is a pilot so he couldn't stay out ALL night so my parents took me to the er.  Of course, Jon wanted to take me but he had to get some sleep so he could be in the right mind to fly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment